Saturday, July 25, 2009

Up Up and Away


The following is a simple example of how fear creeps into our lives in little ways:
Today my family and I are going to the New Jersey Ballon Festival. We had discussed the plan to do so with a group of friends about a week ago. All of them were excited about it and said they wanted to go. However, when it came time to purchase the tickets, everyone backed out. They all reacted to the weather forecast which said that there was a chance that it would rain throughout the weekend. They all gave in to little fears..."What if it rains? Then I will have spent the money for nothing. blah blah blah".


When my wife heard that they were not going to go, she called me to ask if I still thought that we should. At that point I realized that two things were happening:


  1. The fear about the weather was a fear about something, that at that moment, did not exist (we will not know if it is going to rain until it actually happens)

  2. We were about to let the fears of others impact our own decision (just because they were not going to go should we just blindly follow along?)

I decided not to give in to these little fears. And as I look out my window it looks nice and sunny outside.


Have you ever given in to a fear of something that did not really exist? Have you ever done something just because everyone else did? If so leave a comment and share your experience.


Until Next Time...be fearless


0 comments:

Post a Comment